Sunday 20 January 2008

Full time "daddying"


No entries for Friday and Saturday. I gave you an idea what my Friday was going to be; getting the boys ready and to school in the morning and picking them back in the afternoon with baby tagging along, on both occasions. Below, I give you an account of Saturday.


Yesterday (Saturday) was a very beautiful day. Slow start. Baby didn't make me sleep - she didn't sleep either. There's this saying in Twi: "akwadaa ose oma ne maame nna no, nso nna", meaning, a child that will not let her mother sleep, also doesn't sleep. Wait a minute! That sounds feministic, ain't it? Why the use of "mother" in this saying? In my humble opinion, the use of mother is a bit anachronistic. I hope you guess what I'm shooting at. These days, whatever a woman can do, a man can also do it, and even better. I guess you've heard this before but in a slightly different form.

Well, after being denied sleep by my baby girl, I was tasked with the sole but unenviable responsibility of waking the boys up, helping them to have their bath, ironing their clothes, making them breakfast, and doing same for baby, and then making sure I am in Wolverhampton (about an hour's drive) by 10:00 a.m. I was an hour and half late.

Saturday at Wolverhampton
I was dreading that day because I couldn't quite figure out how baby was going to behave when I take her out without mummy around. I was meeting friends for a business planning meeting and didn't want baby's presence to be a distraction, however, I had no option than to go with her. Surprisingly she was cool and happy all day. She never cried and mixed so well with the crowd. There were five men, three women, and six children (including baby and her two brothers).

We had a very fruitful meeting. It was over by 3:00 p.m. After seeing the other friends off, I stayed over with the host and his family till after 11:00 p.m.

The children were all happy and played throughout. They quickly fell asleep on our way back. We got home around 1:30 a.m. Sunday. I had to carry them, one after the other, out of the car. Mum was back.

Sunday - CAN 2008 Opening Match - Ghana Vs Guinea
Ghana 2 --- Guinea 1

No comments: